General Phone Number: 205-933-8101
Admissions Phone Number: 205-933-8101 x5508
Birmingham VAMC provides the following mental health rehabilitation services in Birmingham.
- Mental Health Treatment
- Dual Diagnosis Treatment Provider
Birmingham VAMC is run by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Birmingham VAMC provides treatment in the following settings.
- Outpatient mental health rehabiliation
Birmingham VAMC provides the following emergency mental health treatment and services.
- Crisis intervention team
- Psychiatric emergency onsite services
- Psychiatric emergency mobile/off-site services
- Psychiatric emergency walk-in services
Birmingham VAMC utilizes the following treatment approaches.
- Behavior modification
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Couples/family therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Group therapy
- Integrated dual disorders treatment
- Individual psychotherapy
- Trauma therapy
Birmingham VAMC utilizes the following pharmacotherapies & medications in the treatment process.
- Chlorpromazine (Thorazine®)
- Fluphenazine (Prolixin®)
- Haloperidol (Haldol®)
- Loxapine (Loxitane®)
- Perphenazine (Trilafon/Etrafon/Triavil/Triptafen®)
- Prochlorperazine (Compazine/Compro®)
- Thiothixene (Navane®)
- Thioridazine (Mellaril/Melleril®)
- Trifluoperazine (Stelazine®)
- Aripiprazole (Abilify®)
- Asenapine (Saphris/Sycrest®)
- Brexpiprazole (Rexulti®)
- Cariprazine (Vraylar®)
- Clozapine (Clozaril®)
- IIoperidone (Fanapt®)
- Lurasidone (Latuda®)
- Olanzapine (Zyprexa®)
- Olanzapine/Fluoxetine combination (Symbyax®)
- Paliperidone (Invega Trinza®)
- Quetiapine (Seroquel®)
- Risperidone (Risperdal®)
- Ziprasidone (Geodon®)
Information regarding payment(s) accepted at Birmingham VAMC and possible financial assistance.
- Military Insurance
- Private Insurance
- U.S. Department of VA funds
Information regarding specialty programs and groups offered at Birmingham VAMC.
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer/questioning (LGBTQ) clients
- Military families
- Clients referred from the court/judicial system
- Persons with co-occurring mental and substance use disorders
- Persons who have experienced trauma
- Persons with traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Persons with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Persons with serious mental illness (SMI)
Birmingham VAMC offers the following screening and testing services to mental health clients.
- There is no information provided regarding screening at Birmingham VAMC
Birmingham VAMC provides the following ancillary services in addition to mental health treatment.
- Assertive community treatment
- Case management
- Court-ordered outpatient treatment
- Diet and exercise counseling
- Education services
- Family psychoeducation
- Housing services
- Intensive case management
- Illness management and recovery
- Integrated primary care services
- Legal advocacy
- Mentoring/peer support/consumer-run services
- Supported employment
- Supported housing
- Suicide prevention services
- Vocational rehabilitation services